Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Official Post 14 - Web 2.0 and Library 2.0

Wow! What thought provoking stuff indeed! I read all of the links from our resource list, and it really brought home just why we are doing this whole learning exercise. It also really made me think about just how much I live in the web 2.0 environment myself already, and about how many of our customers are doing the same. If I wasn't a librarian, I would very rarely visit the library, and that's the honest truth. I would continue to come in and pick up my books, but if libraries delivered would I even do that?

I love that our website is becoming more and more user friendly, I can subscribe to the rss feeds of my favourite new items (new graphic novels, new adult and teen fiction, cooking books and on and on), so that the moment these are available, I can request all the fantastic new books coming out. I can subscribe to NextReads, and get a great list of recommended reads to request from in all my favourite genres. In my online life, I am constantly coming across books I want to read in a variety of places (what are my friends reading in facebook?), and I request them. But then I have to juggle my reading time with all my other pursuits....its no wonder that we really are having to work hard to bring our libraries to people, rather than expecting them to come to us.

And the last non-fiction book I borrowed? a cookbook. ALL my other information needs are always met online......why wait for a book to arrive, or have to go out my door when I can find it online? when I can read about other peoples experiences and share from them? Need good dairy free recipes? check out this persons blog, not only does she share her experiences and recipes, shes got some great links to other sites! this is our new world, and I think we are more immersed in it than we realise :)

I have embedded that great video here again, cause I thought it was really good, and I wanted to be able to find it again easily. If you didn't watch it, do....makes you think :)


No comments: