Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Official post 20 - thing 22 E-books

Wow, this was a really enlightening 'thing' for me, I had no idea what was out there in the way of E-books. Personally, I prefer to have a real book in front of me, but my husband is a real fan of non-fiction e-books, and even has some saved to his phone to read in deseperate times of need.

I looked at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page where you can access free e-books, and found that you can get many 'classic' titles and authors, such as Jane Austen, and my fav author as a child L.M Montgomery (and her Anne series). I realised this is a great resource for us to promote to our customers, and in particular to students studying. Just last week I had a girl looking for Pride and Prejudice, and our copy was out (and she of course wanted it yesterday). If I had realised then, I could have shown her this free e-book version! So, really great for classics, but not so much for more modern or popular stuff, or for NZ authors either.

I then explored http://www.ebooks.com/ and was amazed at the HUGE range of e-books for sale there, and they really did have heaps and heaps of great authors (lots of my favs anyhow) and really recent new titles. Again, not really any NZ authors, but a great overseas range for sure. I thought this might be something I could recommend to my sister, as she lives in a small town down south, and sometimes has to buy out of town - this could be a great way to access the latest Dean Koontz for instance. (though I suspect like me, shes a fan of real books...not sure, have to ask her :)

Lastly I read up on amazon's kindle - I have heard lots about them before, but if anything this just confirmed for me that theres nothing like a real book. Yes, its really convenient to have 200 on hand at any one time, but at least you don't have to worry about batteries running out, or ongoing charges for subsciption.

hmmm, all very interesting stuff, and it will be scary to see where we are on this subject in 10 years time.........

No comments: